CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 4, 2008

Meet Me Monday

I'm starting a new thing called Meet Me Monday in which I will introduce someone either in my family or someone close to me every Monday. This will serve two purposes: Allow me to showcase the people I care about, and will let you know a little bit about the people I mention in my blog. My first blog will be about.....
My Mother

My mom was born Vicki Jo Strobel on Feb. 16 (year withheld) in the great state of Florida to Bobbie Lou and Darwin Dee Strobel. She grew up in Sarasota, FL with 1 older sister, Marilyn, 1 older brother Charlie, and 1 younger brother Dee. She excelled in school, but wanted out of a dysfunctional family situation and joined the Army at age 18. The Army brought her together with my father and they were married May 28, 1982. She had me, her first child, when she was 24 and my sister Janice, when she was 25. Janice also has Down Syndrome, so my mom had it rough for a couple of years adjusting to having 2 small children 11 months apart and one with Ds that was very unexpected(the Ds that is, not the child LOL). When I was very young my mom decided to go to nursing school at Cameron University to become an RN. I remember being very young and my mom studying and me doing my "homework" right along beside her. My mom made me who I am today, plain and simple. She read books to me when I was a newborn until I was able to read them myself and then some still. She bought workbooks for me and flashcards and worked with me on all kinds of stuff. I could say my ABCs at 18 months seriously! She has kindled a passion for learning inside me ever since I can remember. I also believe I inherited my intelligence from her along with my eyes, wrists, fingers, and general body type. I also got my love for all things girlie from her: clothes, shoes, fine handbags, and makeup. She got her RN degree and has worked as a nurse ever since. She got out of the military and did the reserves for quite some time afterwards. She currently works as a nurse in labor and delivery at Blanchfield Army hospital on Ft. Campbell, KY. My mom gets 90% of the questions on jeopardy right without studying and is by far the smartest person I know. She loves to read and her current obsession is Luxor (some kind of crazy computer game). She also suggested that I become a pharmacist, which I am currently working on. I could write so much more, but I will end here. I love you mom!

3 comments:

Greg C said...

Great tribute to your Mom. I have some stories about my mom but it might not be suitable for children to post them. :) First time visitor here. Its a nice blog. I never realized now many people had DS. It is an eye opener for me.

Michelle said...

what a neat idea and a beautiful tribute to your mom!

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Kennedy was born at Ft. Campbell! Where was your mom then?! I would have loved to have her to talk to instead of the idiot that told me I could still give her up for adoption (ugh). Great tribute to your mom, she sounds awesome!